Saturday, November 11, 2017

Maybe another go

Here we are, off ice.  We finally got a seemingly last minute flight into the Pole just a few days ago with more disappointment to immediately follow - a 24 hour weather delay of our flight from McMurdo to Christchurch.  While we sat around in turmoil for a few hours trying to figure out our travel plans and any other chaos, most of us winterovers tried to make the best of the situation.

On our last night in McMurdo the day before our flight out into the real world, we compiled a team to compete in trivia at one of the bars on station.  Jason, Steve, Eric, Jeff, Ryan, and I were "Team Toast," how apropos it was considering our current state of minds.  Despite all of that T3 syndrome amongst us and the multitude of beers we each consumed, we managed to score 3rd place!  Thank god for some of the nerds on our team to inspire answers for Harry Potter, Star Trek, and IT-related questions;  I certainly remained quiet during those rounds.  I never expected to do so well at trivia, and I assume neither did my teammates, but nevertheless we made an impressive and formidable bunch.

Earlier that day, our friends Linnah and Caroline took us up to the Discovery Hut and brought us inside.  Linnah was my lab manager at Palmer in 2014, and Caroline took over for those last remaining weeks that I overstayed that season.  It wasn't something that I expected to enjoy, but after seeing the inside of the hut I am glad that I went.  Just outside the main entrance was a 100+ year old seal carcass, clearly something Scott and Shackleton and the other older explorers once caught to feed themselves and their crew.  Immediately inside to the right (after brushing our shoes off as is required to preserve the environment), there was a stack of old seal blubber.  It wasn't the most pleasant smelling, as it slowly oozed into the flooring, but it nevertheless was an interesting site.  Likely one of my most favorite sites of that excursion includes the 100+ year old onions and potatoes.  And we thought South Pole food was old!

To fast forward quite a bit - here I am in Christchurch writing from my hotel room.  Who would have guessed that the internet could move this quickly.  I have been able to fool around on the internet and check my email in rapid succession.  In fact, we have almost spent an entire day just hanging out alone in this room trying to catch up on all of the details of life.

The first day back in Christchurch we spent trying to shop and get ourselves together for vacation.  Whilst I couldn't find a proper pair of women's jeans, Jason was able to make do with a pair of men's jeans that he found in one of the local malls.  He keeps complaining that they're so metrosexual, but they'll be fine for getting us through vacation.  After some shopping, Jason wanted a total body massage.  To waste the hour during which he got a massage, I decided to get a mani/pedi.  What a disappointment honestly, but I guess my nails are in a better state than they were a few months ago with my charcoal-soaked mittens (our hand warmers at Pole were charcoal based, activated by air, and would leave residues on our clothing).  Hopefully that's the blackest my nails and fingers will be in quite a long time.

The best part about that day to be honest was our lunch - 3 avocados amongst the two of us, some pita chips, and a small round of single creme brie.  I couldn't have been more delighted.  Jason had the foresight to scour some salt from god only knows where for the avocados, making our lunch even more delectable.  It's the little things that are delicious once you leave the Pole :)

Following day we met up with good ol' Jeff Keller for lunch.  We went to Dux, a common USAP watering ground, for lunch and some drinks.  I ordered some fish tacos and we all split some steamed mussels, likely one of the more delicious meals that I have had in a while.  The mussels down here actually come in a beautiful green shell, making them unique to look at.  I haven't noticed a significant difference in taste quite yet, but maybe I will as my expertise sharpens.

So here we are today:  Sunday.  This is the last day just relaxing prior to our vacation.  I got a pair of hiking pants today as I cannot seem to find agreeable Kiwi jeans.  Unfortunately Jason thought he was being cute by buying the same exact pair of pants as me, only in men's form.  Now we will be twins on the road or like that couple in Best in Show.  After shopping, we stopped to get something small to eat just to satiate us until dinner.  Normally in the real world I would be peeved by birds flying nearby to get a taste of my meal, but shockingly enough I was feeling a little Cinderella-esque and almost wanted to invite the birds over, hoping to have them help me make a bed in the future.  Obviously I never quite extended the offer, but the thought was there!

We finished off our evening by eating dinner at The Monday Room nearby Dux in Christchurch.  What a great little restaurant!  Jason and I had been talking about ceviche for a while, and TMR had an appetizer of lime ceviche.  We both ordered a plate to satiate that taste.  He got the lamb rump for dinner, and I got the sweet potato gnocchi.  I couldn't have asked for a better "final dinner" in Christtchurch until the real vacation begins and we start cooking for ourselves.

Tomorrow's plan is to check out of the hotel, get our luggage, and pick up the camper van.  After that, we will try to ship a suitcase home so we don't have to lug around our ECW all vacation-long, and then we will go grocery shopping.  I am so excited to load up on veggies and fruits.  It has been much too long since I've had a truly roasted red bell pepper.  Hopefully I'll make an update of our vacation prior to getting home, but, if not, enjoy this for what it's worth :)

Just 12 days in a camper van, then Jason and I will meet up with his brother Brian in Australia for some diving.  So looking forward to that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment